Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Evolution Of The Aryan

TRANSLATOR'S PREFACE

RESEARCH into the history of the Indo-European race -- a missing link between the latest Sanskrit and the earliest Babylonian records -- has always had a great fascination for me, and, I think, for most students and lovers of history.
     When, therefore, a few years ago a copy of von Ihering's Vorgeschichte der Indo-Europaer was put into my hands, I hastened to read it, although I rather feared that it might be another of the numerous attempts which have been made to establish the descent of the Aryan by linguistical methods. To my surprise and delight, I found that von Ihering had based his hypotheses far more often upon facts and upon customs than on mere words and expressions. For whatever philology may have, and has, done for our knowledge of hitherto unknown phases in the existence of nations, sometimes, unless strongly corroborated by extraneous evidence, it cannot be denied that errors have been made.


http://criticamagazine.blogspot.com.ar/p/the-evolution-of-aryan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment